The FY 2020 budget (a whopping $27.5 Billion) is next year’s budget and is the only bill that the General Assembly is constitutionally required to pass each year. Because I love you people, and because I have no social life to speak of, I have read and summarized the child-relevant parts of both for your enjoyment below. (Note that the summaries below are only from the Governor’s Budget Recommendations. From here the budgets will be vetted, usually changed somewhat, and then passed by the House and the Senate before they return to the governor for his signature.)
Here are some tips which should make reading the charts easier:
- Numbers in parentheses are subtractions from existing funding.
- Numbers NOT in parentheses are additions to existing funding.
- “Yes” indicates support for the accompanying Budget Note.
- A bond is an IOU that the state “sells” and then pays back the amount of the bond plus interest, a portion at a time over many years
- If you too have no social life and would like to read the budgets for yourself, they can both be found in the same document.
Click Here to See the Governor's FY2020 Budget Recommendations
DBHDD = Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities
DCS = Department of Community Supervision
DECAL = Department of Early Care and Learning
GDEcD = Department of Economic Development
DJJ = Department of Juvenile Justice
DOE = Department of Education
DOL = Department of Labor
DOR = Department of Revenue
DPH = Department of Public Health
GBI = Georgia Bureau of Investigation
CJCC = Criminal Justice Coordinating Council (attached to GBI)
CJCJ = Council of Juvenile Court Judges (attached to Juvenile Courts)
GDC = Georgia Department of Corrections
GOSA = Governor’s Office of Student Achievement
GSFC = Georgia Student Finance Commission
GPDC = Georgia Public Defenders Council
PAC = Prosecuting Attorneys Council
TCSG = Technical College System of Georgia
USG = University System of Georgia